Helping clubs with tax

Having sufficient money to build and run better facilities is fundamental to your club’s continued success. Tax can hinder or help your money issues. The following 15 resources are intended to point you in the right direction, although in many cases you will need to engage appropriate specialists to deliver specific advice.

Please note: There are important changes in employment procedures that clubs need to be aware of. Please see the RFU briefing note for further details – see Important Changes in Employment Procedures for Clubs (PDF 272KB).

Click on the topics below to find out more…

1. Detailed tax questions that you should ask
2. Fundraising and taxation
3. Grants
4. Sponsorship
5. Vat
6. Corporation tax
7. PAYE and National Insurance Contributions (NIC)
8. Incorporation
9. Expenses and benefits
10. National Minimum Wage (NMW)
11. Charities
12. CASCs
13. Gift Aid
14. Sale of land
15. Business rates
15.a Business Rates Revaluation 2017   

This information is intended to provide clubs with guidance and greater clarity in the areas covered. Clubs are reminded that they should seek their own independent professional advice before committing to a particular course of action.

Further support for clubs on tax, payroll and VAT is available from the RFU Legal Helpline, which offers immediate, independent advice on all aspects of your rugby club’s operations. The RFU Legal Helpline – telephone: 0330 303 1877.

The guidance has been prepared by Richard Baldwin and is correct to the best of his knowledge and belief at April 2013. The author takes no responsibility for any consequence of a user or club placing reliance on this guidance.