Links with Local Authorities

Your local authority will inevitably provide a number of services that affect your club and therefore it is worth building up a good working relationship with them.

A number of clubs hire or lease playing pitches and facilities from the local authority so it is worth having a point of contact at the club who can liase with the responsible officer, usually the parks or recreation manager. A positive relationship with these officers can often help when discussing conditions of hire, pitch maintenance and any number of other issues that arise through the hire or lease of facilities.

The majority of local authorities will now also employ sports development officers (SDOs), sometimes with a particular remit for rugby, who are responsible for the delivery of the sport within that authority. They are also often specifically responsible for creating opportunities for young people to become involved in sport.

It is worth drawing upon the expertise of these SDOs to help you with the development of your club, in particular on junior rugby and links with the local community. They can often also advise on issues such as identifying facilities and equipment, worthwhile funding streams, where to access advice on coaching, and contacts for local coaches.