Schools Cup semi-finals: As it happened

  • Allianz Park hosts U15 Schools Cup semi-finals
  • Here is how the action unfolded 

Allianz Park hosted the U15 Schools Cup semi-finals as eight teams battled it out to secure the four available spots in the Cup and Vase finals at Twickenham. 

Kenilworth school will now face Beechen Cliff in the Vase final while Manchester Grammar School will meet Whitgift in the Cup on 14th March at Twickenham

Kenilworth win 8 try thriller 

Kenilworth school from Warwickshire were the first side to book their place in the U15 Vase final at Twickenham after a thrilling 32-17 win over QEGS Penrith. 

The winning side raced out to an early lead, scoring three tries in the opening 12 minutes in what looked likely to be a comfortable victory. 

However with all three tries unconverted, QEGS still fancied their chances and fought back with tries from Archie Rattray and James Ellis. Both were converted by fly half and captain Louis Johnson to make it 14-15. 

QEGS then had all the momentum and went in half time 17-15 ahead when Johnson slotted a penalty following an infringement at the ruck from Kenilworth. 

Kenilworth composed themselves at half time and kept QEGS scoreless in the second half while scoring 17 points themselves. 

After 40 minutes prop Dylan Hunter capitalised on loose ball to dive over the line to put his side back in the lead before number 8 Josh Marston extended their lead after 47 minutes, using his impressive strength to drive over the line.

Will Woolvine converted to make it 27-17 and the Warwickshire school made sure of their place at Twickenham minutes later when Yallop, Man of the Match, went over for his second try to make it 32-17 at the final whistle. 

Beechen Cliff overcome the London Oratory

Beechen Cliff will play Kenilworth in the U15 Vase final at Twickenham after beating the London Oratory 24-12 at Allianz Park. 

The Somerset school had all the possession and territory in the opening 10 minutes and took the lead through prop Archie Maggs who powered over the line.

And it wasn’t long before Maggs went over for his second with number eight Jac Therrien converting to make it 12-0. 

The London Oratory managed to keep Beechen at bay for the rest of the first half but weren't able to hold out early in the second half when winger Charlie Delargy dived over in the corner. 

The Oratory started to find their place in the game during the second half and narrowed the lead when scrum half Max Curran went over after the south London side used their maul to great effect. 

However Beechen Cliff responded almost immediately through hooker Rufus Coleman-Deveney with the try converted by Therrien to bring their lead to 24-5. 

The Oratory came back once again when Gregory Lawlor picked a sensational line to smash through Beechen Cliff’s defenders. He converted his own try to make it 24-12. 

But it was too late for the school to mount a comeback and Beechen Cliff will now head to Twickenham on 14th March. 

Manchester Grammar School stage sensational comeback 

Warwick school's hopes of reaching the finals of both the U18 and U15 Schools Cup final were ended by Manchester Grammar School (MGS) in an epic match in which they came back from 21-3 down to win 22-21. 

Warwick raced into the lead when winger William Mobberley intercepted the ball in his own half before winning the footrace to put his side ahead. Elliot Tanner converted to make it 7-0. 

MGS captain and fly half Ben Simpson soon narrowed that lead after slotting a penalty from in front of the posts but with Warwick contiuing to apply pressure, second row Maximillian Stanton charged down an attempted clearance from MGS and was able to collect the ball to dot down.

Tanner once again converted bringing the score to 14-3. 

Early in the second half Kai Nwangwa, Warwick’s openside flanker, spotted a gap and made a break through, beating several MGS defenders on the way to the try line and Tanner added the extras to make it 21-3. It looked like the game was won for Warwick but MGS had different ideas.

They bounced back through second row Noah Ellis who crashed his way over the line and after 50 minutes centre Haeden Johnson, who had looked dangerous throughout, barraged his way over the line. 

Simpson’s conversion brought the score to 21-15, giving his side a hope of completing a tremendous comeback with 10 minutes left on the clock. 

And in the dying moments, with Warwick desperately trying to keep MGS out, scrum half Tom Archer picked the ball and sprinted over to book his side’s place in the final. 

Whitgift edge Hampton 

Whitgift kept their hopes alive of winning both the U18 and U15 Cup finals after beating Hampton 21-10 to reach Twickenham. 

Hampton started the better of the two sides when Tim Lamming took advantage of an overlap to cross over after six minutes which was converted by promising fly half Jamie Benson, a Quins academy player. 

Just before half time Whitgift’s Omari Malcolm managed to crash over the line after the Hampton defence had held firm for multiple phases. Fly half Connor Slevin converted for Whitgift to bring the scores level at half time. 

It remained tight for much of the second half with Benson breaking the deadlock by knocking over a penalty for Hampton taking the score to 10-7 with 20 minutes left on the clock. 

In a remarkable closing 10 minutes, Whitgift continued to drive the ball over, metres away from Hampton’s line but were held up countless times by a brave Hampton defence. 

But they could only hold on for so long before Whitgift hooker Piero Noah crashed his way over after a rolling maul. Slevin added the extra two points to give the Croydon school a 14-10 lead. 

And another try from Man of the Match Noah minutes from time booked Whitgift’s ticket to Twickenham. Slevin added the conversion with the match finishing 21-10.