Clubhouses and Changing Rooms

To help clubs make legally sound and effective decisions, the RFU has a number of guidance notes and advice documents issues surrounding facilities design, compliance and construction.

In conjunction with the Rugby Football Foundation, The RFU has produced a Design Guide to Changing Rooms and Clubhouses providing a checklist of standards and minimum criteria, advice on project steering groups, appointing consultants, and applications for funding.

Planning permission is something that new developments must bear in mind, especially if you are considering changing the use of some of your buildings. Sport England's Planning Permission Guidance Document (PDF 1.1MB) provides some useful information.

Also important is ensuring any new builds or refurbishments are compliant with Disability Discrimination Act legislation. Sport England has further guidance on this area.

For more information, contact your local Area Facilities Manager:

Jon Bendle AFM
(Cornwall, Somerset, Devon, Dorset & Wilts and Gloucestershire), 07753 881272

Jason Bowers AFM
(Middlesex, Hampshire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire and Hertfordshire), 07703 466773

Rick Bruin AFM
(Kent, Sussex, Surrey and Essex), 07738 029211

Peter Shaw AFM
(Notts, Lincs & Derby, Eastern Counties, Leicestershire, East Midlands and Warwickshire), 07734 070674

Tom Bartram AFM
(Lancashire, Cheshire, Staffordshire and North Midlands), 07841 156806

Alex Bowden AFM
(Northumberland, Durham, Yorkshire and Cumbria), 07764 336701

RFU Alcohol (& Gambling) Licensing help

The Rugby Football Union together with Poppleston Allen Licensing Solicitors has set up a free Alcohol (& Gambling) licensing Helpline 0115 934 9177, which is available to address any issues or concerns you may have relating to the licensing of your premises. Please also consider the Rugby Football Union and Poppleston Allen Licensing Solicitors guide (PDF 200kB) to enable you to compare your current offer and practices with the requirements of the Licensing Act 2003.