An extra team can cement the future of many clubs. Extra teams mean extra members and more matches, thus generating more income as well as the coaches, referees and volunteers of the future.
Starting a new team should be the ultimate outcome of the club’s player recruitment and retention plan. The new team could be an U17 or U18 team to complete the age groups in a youth section. It could be an U18 girl’s team, a veterans side or 4th XV men’s team. It could also be a group of students from the local college or university who cannot find fixtures and want the social facilities that the club can offer.
It is important that the club plans to make sure that the new team is sustainable. It will need to consider:
- Fixtures – who will the new team play?
- Coaches – what standard of coaching
- Referees – who is going to referee the teams matches
- Transport – who will organise the transport
- Kit – what kit will they need to play and train, and can this be sponsored?
- Volunteers – what management support will the team need and who will provide this?
- CRB – are all the relevant people Criminal Records Bureau checked?
- RDOs – have you contacted your local Rugby Development Officer (RDO) and Constituent Body to see what help is available?