Age Grade Rugby ensures that every player is able to enjoy rugby in a safe environment where they can develop their personal and social skills as well as a wide array of transferable multi-sports skills. This results in their holistic development as well as their life long involvement in rugby and other sports.
Age Grade Rugby is the game for all players aged 6 – 18 in clubs, schools, colleges and within the representative pathway and it incorporates the rules of play, regulation, competition formats and the structure of the season.
It is based on the principles of player centred, development driven and competition supported with the wants and needs of young people at its heart.
Introduced in September 2016 following the Age Grade Competition Review (AGCR), Age Grade Rugby will ensure:
- All decisions will be made based on the wants and needs of the player
- Player welfare and safety remains as the primary focus
- Consistent age bandings and incremental player progressions
- A nationally consistent playing menu and calendar
- An integrated England Rugby Player Development pathway and representative framework
- Training for coaches, referees, parents, teachers and others
- Codes of Practice ensure best practice and to help apply Regulation
- Formation of an Age Grade Club Advisory Group
- On-going research and insight from players to ensure the game is aligned to their wants and needs
- Stepping stone approach to the players’ development with the Rules of Play.