The RFU Leadership Academy aims to raise awareness of the importance of leadership in rugby. The scheme identifies the next generation of club, Constituent Body and referee society leaders. The leadership academy aims to help people develop their rugby expertise and confidence, while facilitating networking opportunities to allow delegates to share experiences and solutions to handle similar issues.
Each leadership candidate:
- Attends the academy launch to network with other leadership candidates and mentors
- Identifies their current strengths and areas for development
- Creates their personal learning plan
- Completes formal and informal learning and development opportunities
- Reviews their progress and gives pXvnH"feedback on the academy
The Leadership Academy runs from November to March. The approximate time commitment for each leadership candidate is as follows:
- Academy induction
- Up to three sessions with mentor
- Up to five formal learning sessions
- Up to five challenge and support group sessions
- Informal activity based on the individual
- Academy review
Depending on the needs of the candidates, the Leadership Academy will cover a number of modules, including:
- Leadership: creating an inspiring vision; setting goals and defining roles
- Understanding Your Facility Needs and Making Them A Reality
- A Practical Approach To Risk Assessments
- Management modules on offer depending on candidate requirements include
- Developing Commercial Revenue
- Organisational Structures
- Understanding Club Finances
- Recruiting and Retaining Volunteers
- Creating a Marketing Strategy
Leadership Academy Survey 2018
The Leadership Academy survey aims to track the progress of the Leadership Academy candidates within rugby union and assess the impact to rugby from individual candidates. Read the summary here.
Register for the Leadership Academy
Due to the significant investment in the individuals taking part and interest in the scheme, places are limited, so act now.
Book online: the RFU online course booking system allows you to search by course type, region, postcode or date before booking and paying for your course.