- The champions programme will celebrate exceptional standards
- Find out more about Old Mutual Wealth Kids First here
The RFU and Old Mutual Wealth have launched an Old Mutual Wealth Kids First champions programme, helping to identify those rugby clubs and schools where the quality of Old Mutual Wealth Kids First delivery is exceptional.
Throughout the season, clubs and schools across the country that provide an experience and environment that encapsulates the Old Mutual Wealth Kids First approach to rugby at U7 to U13 level will be celebrated.
Those selected as Old Mutual Wealth Kids First champions will be in line for a range of great prizes including having their players join a guard of honour ahead of one of England’s matches in the Old Mutual Wealth Series, plus tickets to the game.
“Old Mutual Wealth Kids First is all about enhancing the rugby experience for kids through an approach, on and off the pitch, that is centred on them," said RFU Head of Education Development Mark Saltmarsh.
"It’s about helping kids develop and learn the game at their own pace and making sure they have plenty of fun while playing.
“Following the introduction of new age grade rugby this season anyone playing at U7 to U13 level is within Old Mutual Wealth Kids First. But beyond that we’ve seen over 400 rugby clubs and schools across the country pledging to commit to a range of high quality standards.”
Champions unveiled in November
The RFU provides additional resources and support to clubs and schools that take the Old Mutual Wealth Kids First pledge, helping them to run an improved programme and to be recognised for doing so.
“It’s great to see so many rugby clubs and schools embracing Old Mutual Wealth Kids First and being proud to make a public commitment by signing up to the pledge," added Saltmarsh.
"We wanted to champion best practice and it’s great to have the opportunity to reward the clubs and schools who are really setting the standard for Old Mutual Wealth Kids First.”
The first round of champions will be unveiled in November. For more details on how to get involved follow the details below:
- To be eligible for a champion award clubs and schools must have signed up to the Old Mutual Wealth Kids First Pledge.
- Ask your Club Chairman or Head Teacher to take the Old Mutual Wealth Kids First pledge by registering their details. As part of the registration process all clubs and schools will pass through a safeguarding filtering. Shortly after, they will be contacted directly by the Rugby Football Union.
- Share your great work with the rest of the rugby family by using #OMWKidsFirst
- Coaches and teachers delivering Old Mutual Wealth Kids First Rugby at U7 to U13s can attend age group specific courses. These courses combine skill development at each grade and outline the incremental progressions through the age grades. Courses cost just £5 and can be found online here or via your local Rugby Development Officer or Community Rugby Coach.